Corey Corcoran is an artist and illustrator based in Boston. Trained as a painter, Corcoran’s recent work combines drawing with sculpture, video, and animation. Recently, he has created nine site-specific animations for the 80 foot-tall outdoor marquee at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center as well as a video art for a digital billboard opposite Fenway Park in Boston.
Corcoran’s work has been exhibited nationally and extensively in the Greater Boston area including LaMontagne Gallery, Suffolk University Art Gallery, deCordova Sculpture Park + Museum, Montserrat College of Art, kijidome, and Boston Center for the Arts. His work has been featured in publications such as Huffington Post, The Boston Globe, Art New England, Artscope Magazine, and Beautiful Decay. He holds a BFA from Massachusetts College of Art and Design and is a recipient of the Clowes Fellowship from Vermont Studio Center.
BFA in Painting, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, 2007.
Graduated with with distinction and departmental honors. Equivalent of a minor in Film/Video.
Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT (2011)
Artist Talk for Digital Drawing class at Massachusetts College of Art and Design (2017 & 2016)
Artist Talk & Demo, Boston Center for the Arts (2015)
Artist talk and animation demonstration in conjunction with Feelers: the 24th Drawing Show at the Boston Center for the Arts.
Radical Thaw at De-Construkt, Redhook, Brooklyn (2015)
Curated by Namaste Neanderthal, this is the inaugural event in a series of curatorial experiments and collaborations at DE-CONSTRUKT [Projekts] in Redhook, Brooklyn. Performances by Jed Shahar, Teri Madonna & Friends, and AUSTIN / MAGNUS. Video work by Justine Williams and Corey Corcoran. Animal Medicine readings by Indigo Universe.
Slideluck Boston, Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge, MA (2015)
Slideluck, a non-profit organization dedicated to building and strengthening community through food and art. Since 2000, Slideluck has hosted potluck dinners combined with multimedia slideshows in over 75 cities worldwide and presented the work of roughly 10,000 artists. At each event, guests bring home-cooked dishes to share and the feast is followed by a slideshow of work by local artists, ranging from emerging to very established.
Fenway’s 30 Second Cinema, Fenway Park in Boston, MA (2014)
New public art initiative sponsored by the Mayor’s Office of New Urban Mechanics and The Boston Art Commission. 12 Items or Less, a site-specific animation, screens on rotation at the 48 ft digital display opposite Fenway Park.
Art on the Marquee at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (2012-16)
Public art series sponsored by Boston Cyberarts and the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority. Nine site-specific animations, Squeegee (:30, 2016), Under the Weather (:30, 2016), Drive Thru (:30, 2015), Fish Food (:30, 2015), Climbing (:30, 2015), Claw (:45, 2014), Gutterball (:30, 2014), Breeze (:30, 2014), and Zzzz (4:00, 2012) play on rotation at the unique 80 ft outdoor marquee at the Boston Convention Center & Exhibition Center. View the schedule.
Green Dream, kijidome in Boston, MA (2014)
A series sponsored by kijidome, an experimental project space and artist-run collaborative in Boston. All Levels (2:50), a video combining hand-drawn imagery and live-action, screened as part of the project.
In Response, The Lilypad in Cambridge, MA (2013)
A series which paired local visual artists and musicians together to share their work, process, and create new work based on this experience. The series culminated in a screening of existing and event-specific animated work set to the neo-soul sounds of songwriter Kim Mayo and a ten-piece live band at the Lilypad in Cambridge, MA. In Response was curated by musician Leah Hennessey.
Exhibitions: Drawings, Paintings, and Sculpture
- HallSpace, Drawing Project. Dorchester, MA (2016)
- Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Ordinary Matter (2016)
- Wareham Street Studios, One Night Only, Boston, MA (2016)
- Boston Center for the Arts, 24th Drawing Show, Boston, MA (2015)
- Bakalar Gallery, 26th Annual MassArt Benefit Auction. Boston, MA (2015)
- Suffolk University Art Gallery, Artists and Their Sketchbooks. Boston, MA (2014)
- HallSpace, Drawing Project. Dorchester, MA (2014)
- The Distillery Gallery, The Departed. South Boston, MA (2014)
- Lincoln Arts Project, House Rabbet Society. Waltham, MA (2013)
- 13forest Gallery, Plenty. Arlington, MA (2013)
- Aviary Gallery, Like a Rowboat. Jamaica Plain, MA (2013)
- Bakalar Gallery, 24th Annual MassArt Benefit Auction. Boston, MA (2013)
- Projekt 722, Super Natural. Brooklyn, MA (2012)
- Torrance Art Museum, Oh Nancy’s Blank Land. Torrance, CA (2012)
- LaMontagne Gallery, Four Young Boston Artists. South Boston, MA (2012)
- Four Eleven Studio, Boston Contemporary. Provincetown, MA (2012)
- Bakalar & Paine Galleries, Flourish: Alumni Works on Paper. Boston, MA (2011)
- The Distillery Gallery, Viva Sputa. South Boston, MA (2011)
- Lincoln Arts Project, Animals and Botanicals. Waltham, MA (2011)
- Garfo Art Center, Oh Nancy’s The Hideout. Salt Lake City, UT (2010)
- Fivesevendelle Project Space, Half Life (solo). Boston, MA (2010)
- TLGUTS, Numbskull (solo). Lynn, MA (2010)
- Maryland Federation of Arts, Eye of the Beholder. Annapolis, MD (2010)
- LaMontagne Gallery, Last Thursday. South Boston, MA (2010)
- MEME Gallery, Carry Out Show. Cambridge, MA (2010)
- Fort Point Artist Community Gallery, Held Still. Boston, MA (2009)
- Orange County Center for Contemporary Art, ProVISIONal Art. Santa Ana, CA (2009)
- K Space Contemporary, Third Coast National. Corpus Cristi, TX (2008)
- Orange County Center for Contemporary Art, On, of, and About Paper. Santa Ana, CA (2008)
Private studio tour for forte at Boston Center for the Arts (2017)
Forte connects a diverse, active group of art enthusiasts to Boston Center for the Arts’ innovative visual and performing arts programming.
Finalist: Art installation for lobby at West of Chestnut, Quincy, MA (2016)
Selected as one of three finalists for a unique three-channel video installation for a lobby space in a new apartment community in downtown Quincy.
"Giving Tuesday" promo for Boston Center for the Arts (2016)
Created an animation to promote the BCA's Annual Fund.
Adobe CreativeJam, Boston, MA (2015)
Participated in this 3-hour design charrette showdown at District Hall in which 8 design teams competed to create visual or motion graphics based on a single theme.
WMBR 88.1FM Annual Fundraiser (2015)
Designed t-shirts and bumper stickers used for the noncommercial radio station's annual fundraiser drive.
From Life, Aviary Gallery, Jamaica Plain, MA (2014)
Curated this group exhibition featuring the work of 15 artists drawing from observation.
Drawings on the T (2013)
A blog I posted to for about a year featuring sketches made while riding public transportation in Boston: DrawingsOnTheT.tumblr.com
ABX, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (2012)
Series of 100 event-specific drawings made in conjunction with the Corporate Art Loan Program at the deCordova Sculpture Park + Museum for the ArchitectureBoston Expo.
Corporate Night, deCordova Sculputure Park + Museum, Lincoln, MA (2011)
Series of event-specific sculptures for Corporate Night 2012 at the deCordova Sculpture Park + Museum.
Hypersleep, Frame 301 at Montserrat College of Art, Beverly, MA (2011)
Site-specific installation created in the 17 foot long storefront gallery space.
PaintBox Project, Centre and South Streets in Jamaica Plain, MA (2009)
Painted utility box as part of initiative sponsored by the Mayor’s Office, City of Boston.
- Clowes Fellowship, Vermont Studio Center (2011)
- Semi-finalist Solo ‘10, Bromfield Gallery, Boston, MA (2009)
- Juror’s Award, (New Art ‘08), Kingston Gallery, Boston, MA (2008)
- Stephen D. Paine Scholarship, Boston Art Dealers Association (2007)
- Ripley's Believe It Or Not Special Edition, 2015
- Top 25 Boston Emerging Artists, curated by Rifrakt Artist Collective
- ROJO®Magazine, breach dynamics, 2009
- Apenest vol. II, 2008
- The Quincy Sun, 5/26/16
- Art New England, March/April 2016
- Artscope Magazine, Nov/Dec 2015
- The Boston Globe 11/28/14
- The Improper Bostonian, 9/3/2014
- The Boston Globe, 8/28/12
- The Boston Globe, 2/8/12
- The Salem Evening News, 2/15/11
- Bluecanvas magazine #4, April 2010
- Art New England, Fall 2008
- Big Red & Shiny, Issue 88
- Boston’s Weekly Dig, 6/4/08
- Artscope (cover image), Summer 2007
- Creative Outlook magazine (cover image), 2007 edition
- The North Shore Sunday, 8/2007
- Big Red & Shiny, 1/2007
- Maverick Arts Magazine, 1/2007
- The Boston Globe, 1/27/2007
- The Boston Globe, 3/12/2006
- The Boston Phoenix, 1/28/2005
- The Boston Herald, 1/17/2005
- The North Shore Sunday, 1/2005
- Artsake, Massachusetts Cultural Council 10/9/15
- Art Digital Magazine 10/1/15
- Berkshire Fine Arts 5/26/15
- NEWMEDIA.international 5/22/15
- Weekly Dig 11/24/14
- The Huffington Post 12/27/12
- Beautiful Decay 12/26/12
- BOOOOOOOM 11/30/11
- BOOOOOOOM 5/16/11
- Etsy blog 5/19/11
- deCordova Sculpture Park + Museum’s Art Happens blog 3/1/11
- BOMB Magazine’s BOMBlog 2/18/11
- Escape Into Life 2/11/11
- Future Shipwreck 11/4/10 (feature)
- Designboom 1/13/09
- My Love for You: 1/7/09, 1/18/09 (studio visit), 2/25/10
- Sweet Station 5/6/09
- Lost at E Minor 3/12/10
- The Lumper 1/4/09 6/2/11
- Assistant Director of Admissions, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, 2015-present
- Admissions Counselor, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, 2011-2015
- Visual Arts audition judge, Boston Arts Academy, 2015
- Boston Arts Academy Senior Grant Review Committee, 2014
- Visting Artist, Flagship Computer Clubhouse at the Museum of Science, Boston, 2013
- MassArt representative, National Portfolio Day NYC, 2010-2014
- MassArt representative, National Portfolio Day Boston, 2008-2014
- Alumni speaker, Fine Arts 2-D Majors Orientation, MassArt, 2010
- Gallery talk at TLGUTS, Lynn MA, with youth group from RAW Art Works (2010)
- Admissions Assistant, MassArt, 2008-2011
- Guest blogger for My Love for You
- Visiting Artist, Summer Studios, MassArt, 2009
- Visiting Artist, RAW Art Works, Lynn MA, 2008